I’ve been receiving a whole lot of positive comments and pats on the back recently. And, while it really feels good, I feel like I need to remind everyone that not everything works out.
It took me 2 weeks of trying and failing before I got a successful lotus flower.
I have had to overcome a lot of failures in order to get to the successes.
I feel it’s important to embrace your failures and learn from them. It’s through failure that I learn the most. Not from failure itself, but from the experience of creating and experimenting and learning why it didn’t work and what parts of it did work. My successes don’t help me nearly as much as my failures do. And sometimes those failures end up turning into a success somewhere down the line.
My first attempts at calligraphy were dismal. I practiced for years before I felt I was any good at all.
For those of you trying to make art for the first time, please don’t stop trying just because the first thing you try doesn’t turn out looking like a professional piece of art.
When I started playing around with making my paper lotus flowers, it took me two whole weeks to get to where I made one that I felt was good enough to show to anyone. Persistence can sometimes trump natural ability.
I love the way my Lotus Flowers come out now. But I did have to learn that not all papers will work well to make Lotus Flowers. I always found a new use for the papers that didn’t work well for Lotus Flowers.
I thought this paper would be my answer to making paste paper to use for my vessels. Once in water, however, the this paper disintegrated.
So here is my failure for the day. I wanted to use this Japanese sumi paper to make paste paper out of. Well, as soon as I wet it, it started disintegrating. I had my heart set on using this paper for a specific project for my Paste Paper Show. Obviously that’s not going to happen. Back to square one.
I have no idea what project I can use that I will want disintegrating paper for, but if I ever do, this is the paper I will try first.
I finally found a paper that I could make paste papers with that didn’t fall apart when wet and didn’t crack when folded. It took nearly a year of trial and error to find just the right paper. Here is my latest Earth Spirit Vessel in progress.
These Fortune Cookies are made from Tyvek that I thought would work well for book covers. Well, the Tyvek could be used for book covers, but it was hard to glue without getting bubbles. I found Tyvek works great for making Fortune Cookies.
In closing, keep the positive comments coming, just don’t get discouraged about things not coming together the first time you try them.
Keep creating, Candy