In anticipation of Ashland’s annual Chocolate Festival, I’m sharing how to make these really cute mice made from chocolate kisses (and a little bit of paper, the ears). The Chocolate Festival isn’t until March, but I like to be prepared, especially for chocolate.
The following quote about chocolate is dedicated to my friend, Sophia.
Chocolate comes from cocoa
which comes out of a tree.
That makes it a plant,
Therefore, chocolate counts as salad.
Now for the instructions for making your salad.
Steps to making your mice (the numbers below refer to the numbers in the above photo):
1. Get 2 Hershey’s Kisses. I got a package or red, pink and silver kisses and another package of gold kisses.
2. Remove the printed paper message from the kisses.
3. Glue googly eyes on one of the kisses. I suggest using a liquid glue for this step.
4. Cut a 4″ length of bakers twine, put a knot in one end and insert the unknotted end into one of the kisses where you removed the message paper.
5. To make the ears, cut out 2 ovals out of brown paper and two smaller ovals out of pink paper.
6. Glue the pink ovals on the brown ovals. I suggest using stick glue for this step.
7. Glue the paper ears on the kiss with the googly eyes. I suggest a liquid glue for this step.
8. After the glue on the paper ears has dried, glue the two kisses together. I suggest a liquid glue for this step. Hold the two kisses together for a little bit to make sure the glue adheres well. Your mouse is now finished.
I realize that the ears are the only part of these mice that are made from paper. But, they’re so cute, I couldn’t help but share them with you.
I will be demonstrating how to make these little mice during the First Friday Art Walk on March 6, which is also the first day of Ashland’s annual Chocolate Festival.
I am making a whole bunch of little mice to share with friends on Valentine’s Day. They will be placed as table decorations on numerous tables where I will be having Valentine’s Dinner.
Happy chocolate, Candy