Yikes, Valentine’s Day is almost here! How can it have gotten here so quickly this year? Truth be told, I lost the month of January after my brother had an unfortunate accident and passed away. So, I’m playing catch up with Valentine’s Day less than a week away.
The bottom line is that life gets in the way of our plans. It happens to me time and time again. My answer when this happens is to look for simple and easy solutions. So, I went back through some of my older blog posts and realized these super easy flowers would be the perfect solution for Valentine decorations and little gifts to friends.
These flowers start with a circle which you cut into a spiral. Because I wanted to make the best use of my paper, I made my circles 5 and 1/4 inches in diameter so that I could get 2 out of an 8.5″ by 11″ piece of paper. While I had success with these, I think next time I’ll start with a larger circle. Maybe I’ll make a number of different sized flowers.
I have seen instructions to make flowers like these from card stock to text weight paper to napkins. I made mine from 60# text weight paper and it worked well. All you need is paper, a pencil, scissors and a glue gun.
- Cut a circle out of paper
- If you wish, you can trace a spiral on your circle with a pencil.
- Cut your spiral. If you trace your spiral, then be sure to erase your pencil lines after you cut.
- Roll your spiral from the outside of the circle inward. I found a toothpick helped me to start rolling the paper.
- Once you’ve rolled to the center, gently release the spiral until it forms the shape you like.
- Glue the bottom and hold until glue dries. I used a hot glue gun because the glue dries quickly.
Warning: Be careful if you use a glue gun. Mine fell over (off its stand) and melted a bit of my cutting mat. And that glue’s pretty darn hot too. Be careful!
These spiral flowers are fun and easy to make, the perfect solution for last minute Valentine decorations and little gifts. I know my friends will appreciate them.